Friday, January 6, 2012

Mommy Lessons {at 8 months}

Just a few things I've learned so far...

---This is the greatest pacifier in the entire world. Period. {Green Sprouts}


---Making baby food is actually pretty easy and incredibly fun! Watching wholesome and colorful fruits and veggies transform into a puree and then seeing Lily enjoy good, natural food is pretty amazing.

---When another mother gives you awful advice or criticizes how you are raising your child, just smile and nod. It's not worth arguing or disagreeing...trust me...just smile and nod.

---Very few people actually care about the color, consistency, smell or even the shapes of my baby's bowel movements. Especially my non-parent friends...weird, right?

---All the times I complained before about being tired or needing more sleep...HA! It's amazing how well your body can perform on little to no sleep when you have a beautiful baby smile at you! It's like downing a couple Red Bulls...she smiles and I have the energy to keep going!

---Christmas with a child is just the greatest!


---There is no parenting debate more intense than the breastfeeding vs. formula feeding frenzy. My goodness! People are not scared to tell you right to your face EXACTLY how they feel. It is just bananas! There is no in between. I've been told outright that I'm a bad mother if I stop breastfeeding before Lily is one and then next conversation I'm being told how disgusting it is that I'm still doing it. Avoid this conversation like the plague!

---You can never take enough pictures or videos to satisfy a grandmother that lives 3 hours away.

---When all else fails, just go with your gut! No book, website or other parent can tell you the right way to love and care for your child. Now, of course there are guidelines, but I've learned to calm down a bit and just go with what feels right.

---It's not a good idea to make a bet on the baby's gender when going in to the 20-whatever week ultrasound. Especially, if betting that child's first Halloween costume...



---And lastly...never, ever, ever, ever ever say "I'll never do that with my baby!". Because chances are, you'll not only do it but you will depend on it and absolutely LOVE it! Trust me!

3 comments:

  1. Cute, cute post! And these are so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! It's amazing how much being a mommy can teach us! And for the record, I think breastfeeding is awesome. Hayes is almost 11 months old and we are going until a year! You should post some baby food recipes on here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know one thing...I am the proudest grandmother in the world over how well the two of you are taking care of my first grandbaby. You both are such great parents. It came naturally to you both....and it shows in how happy Lily is. I just love this little family! And, yes, you don't take enough pics..and you have iphones attached to you 24-7!!

    ReplyDelete