Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Let's get dirty!


Ok...you won't really get dirty learning how to compost but you might...

Composting has a bad rap...it isn't all stinky with slimy worms! It is actually surprisingly easy and odorless!
I started composting when I lived in an apartment and there was definitely a learning period! I actually made my own compost bin out of a plastic 5-gallon bucket! I've grown a little since then, and here are some of the things I learned:

1. You need to know your "browns" and "greens". Browns are materials like dirt, sticks, newspaper, dryer lint and leaves. These materials help balance out the stench of your greens, which are your kitchen scraps (i.e. veggies, egg shells and breads).

2. Not everything is compostable! Stay away from meat and dairy...these will really increase the smell so don't try it! If I ever question it, I just Google " is *** compostable" and my answer is just a click away!

3. Your compost  bin can be one you purchase or you can make a pile in the back corner of your back yard. Whatever your style is...make sure you "turn" it regularly. This helps the materials break down. I don't have the fancy turner, just a garden tool...it works just fine!

4. It is a great idea to have a compost keeper in your kitchen. This way you don't have to go to your compost bin or pile every time you cook. These little time savers are awesome and are relatively attractive. I don't recommend keeping your scraps in there more than a few days because everything will start to break down and you don't want little smells or buggies.

This is a great site to help you with your journey to being really green!

Once you start producing excellent compost, don't be shy about using it for your garden! Compost is literally liquid gold for your flowers, plants and veggies!

I hope this helps! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment