Saturday, March 3, 2012

Veggie Cassoulet

This week I wanted to try some new things so I went to my Epicurious App on my phone for some inspiration! I just love that little app! I found quite a few new things to try and decided to start with this really simple but extremely tasty Veggie Cassoulet. I tweaked it a little to fit what I had on hand that evening but I think you'll enjoy!

Veggie Cassoulet

A couple tablespoons of olive oil (enough to sautee some veggies!)
2 yellow squash (chopped) (it calls for zucchini...but mix it up...both are tasty!)
2 celery stalks (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)
6 cloves garlic (sliced)
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes (drained)
2 cans Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)
A couple tablespoons dried thyme
2 dried bay leaves
Salt/Pepper to taste

First things first, set your oven to 400 degrees. 

While that is heating up, heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook your squash (or zucchini), celery, onion and salt/pepper until soft...which is roughly 8 minutes. Mix in your garlic and cook another minute or so. 


While your veggie party is simmering, go ahead and drain your tomatoes and dump them into your baking dish. Next, drain and rinse your beans. The original recipe calls for you to reserve your bean liquid...but that freaks me out a bit. I always drain and rinse my canned beans...but that's just me! Once those are ready dump them into your baking dish as well with 1/4 cup of water.


Once your veggies are done cooking, add those to your baking dish and combine with your thyme. Lastly, plop your bay leaves right on top!


Bake until golden which is approximately 30 minutes. 


Isn't this a pretty, colorful dish! Remove your bay leaves and serve! 

Tastes great with some warm toasty bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment