Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tom's of Maine

First of all, let me apologize for being such a lazy blogger lately. Tis the season for being swamped! Now, back to business...

I've been on the search for better personal care products...mainly toothpaste and deodorant. On a recent trip to Target, I picked up both products from Tom's of Maine. The packaging claims seemed eco-chic so I thought I would give it a whirl. After a little research, I'm glad I did!

Tom's of Maine was started because a couple didn't want to use products that harmed the environment and they couldn't find any to purchase so they started making their own. Their product line has grown from
 non-phosphate laundry detergent to natural personal care products such as the first natural toothpaste in 1975 and deodorant in 1976. Jump ahead a few decades to 2006 and this company hits the big time when purchased by Colgate-Palmolive Company. This made me a little nervous, but their original mission and approach to products hasn't changed....effective natural and sustainable solutions.

For my toothpaste selection, I chose the Whole Care Toothpaste with fluoride. The fluoride offers clinically-proven cavity protection and the naturally sourced silicas help the toothpaste whiten. On their website they describe each ingredient, where it is derived from and its purpose. I like knowing how healthy my teeth are...but, admittedly, I'm a little more concerned with how healthy they feel and look. I've been using this product for a good stretch of time and so far so good! I've gotten the pass from my dentist and I've even gotten a few compliments on my smile...Thanks Tom's!

As the deodorant goes....not so good. I picked up their Natural Long Lasting Care Deodorant Stick with the apricot scent. I don't doubt that it worked. The hops, natural sourced zinc ricinoleate and the apricot fragrance took care of any odor or odor-causing bacteria. My issue was that I broke out a bit and that was REALLY uncomfortable. I almost expected this end result because about a year ago I tried to make my own deodorant with baking soda, tea tree oil and other essential oils with the same reaction. I have pretty sensitive skin so it is always a gamble trying new products. I noticed on the Tom's of Maine website that they have a stick for sensitive skin, so I'll try that and see if the result is any different.

All in all, I'm very pleased with my purchases and the Tom's of Maine company. Without question, I'm sold on the toothpaste but I'm not giving up on the deodorant either! I hope to try many more of their products soon!



What products do you use?

No comments:

Post a Comment