Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Bread Breakfast

One of my favorite things about the holidays is the fun, family traditions.Like most, our traditions are always by accident. We do one thing that everyone happens to enjoy once and the next thing you know, we are doing it every year. This is how "Appetizer-Only Christmas Eve" and "Wahoo Family Tournaments" began...just to name two. Being the day before one of my favorite holidays, let me share one of our Thanksgiving traditions..."Pumpkin Bread Breakfast"...

A few Thanksgivings ago, my mother was channeling Betty Crocker and decided that, in addition to cooking the entire Turkey Dinner, she was going to also spoil us with a Pumpkin Bread Breakfast. We all loved it so much, that it is now expected every year. Being the nice daughter that I am, I have volunteered to take this off her plate this year. So, last night I whipped up three loaves of this delicious, very easy to create, semi-homemade, yummy-tastic dish...


1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups white sugar
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger


First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Rub a touch of oil onto three of your 7x3 inch loaf pans, then sprinkle with a little flour.


In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.

When complete, pour into your prepared pans.
Lastly, bake for about 50 minutes. Just to check, use the toothpick test to make sure your loaves are thoroughly cooked.
 
We typically enjoy with a little cream cheese spread, which I might skip tomorrow, because it is tasty either way! But...of course it is tasty, look at the ingredients, this is borderline sinful! Although I love this dish, I couldn't eat it every day. That is why I save it for "Pumpkin Bread Breakfast" the morning of Thanksgiving!

This is one of my favorite Thanksgiving family traditions,
what is one of yours?

1 comment:

  1. awh...so proud of you and the fact that you have inherited my love of baking and holiday traditions..can't wait to taste...I've got the whipped cream cheese ready!

    ReplyDelete