Monday, November 29, 2010

Lentil Soup

When I think of the chilly days of Fall/Winter, I always think of warming up with a bowl of hearty soup. I love soup recipies, I love making soups and, most of all, I love eating soups! To put it bluntly...I just love soup!

One of my favorites is Lentil Soup. Lentils are such amazing little things. They are easy to cook, have an indefinite shelf life when dried and are a great source of protein. Every vegetarian needs some lentils in their diet...but, in my opinion, they are so tasty everyone needs some lentils in their diet!

Lentil Soup


1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups dry lentils
5 cups vegetable broth
pepper to taste
dash salt
1 tbsp lemon juice



In a large soup pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat then add your onions, carrots, and celery. Cook and stir until onion is tender.


Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, thyme and basil. Cook for about two more minutes.



Add the vegetable broth, lentils, pepper, bay leaves and salt/pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Let simmer until lentils are soft, which is about 45 minutes to one hour.


While cooking, these lentils will  soak up a ton of  the broth and goodness!


Lastly, remove bay leaves and stir in lemon juice before serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment