Monday, June 27, 2011

Lemon Twist Orzo

It has been approximately FOREVER since I have been in the kitchen experimenting with fun food. So, last week when I took on dinner, we were reunited and it felt so good! Here is what I came up with:

Lemon Twist Orzo



Orzo (2 cups uncooked should be just enough!)
2-3 lemons
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
3 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 tablespoons of capers
A few stalks of green onions (chopped)
A leafy green (loosely chopped)
Tofu (cubed)
Dried Thyme









Start by cooking your orzo according to the manufacturer's directions. Now, this was the first time I had ever cooked with orzo (shocking, I know) and let me tell you...a little goes a long way! I should have cooked only 2 cups for just Chris and I...would have been just fine!

Now, heat approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium pan and toss in your minced garlic to start the party. Next, add your tofu and let cook for a few minutes. When I saw the edges of my tofu starting to brown, I moved on to the next step.


Toss in your green onions, capers and a few shakes of dried thyme. After a few seconds, add the juice of your two lemons.


Now, toss in your leafy green to wilt. I used parsley here and it was pretty tasty. This was the first time I had cooked with parsley, other than to garnish so, like a dummy, I tossed in the stems. If you use parsley for this dish, don't do that! Next time, I'll use spinach.



Remove from heat and add to your orzo. Toss with another tablespoon of olive oil and more lemon juice. I really, really like the lemon tang, so I added the juice of an entire lemon. I also added some salt/pepper to taste. Yum!

Although we ate this as a main dish, this could be an excellent addition to any meal! Enjoy!




Right before I left the table to clean the kitchen, Chris surprised me with this:


I think he was just super pumped that I cooked dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment