Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Carrot-Daikon Tea

As pleased as I have been with The Kind Diet...this Carrott-Daikon weight loss tea is for the birds! It took me forever in Whole Foods to find all the ingredients, 30 minutes to grate and brew the tea, and over an hour to chug it down. GROSS! Maybe I made it wrong, so I'm going to try again tomorrow because despite it's nasty smell and taste...I haven't craved anything all day. In fact, had to make myself eat just now because I hadn't all day.

I'm all about loosing weight...but I'm going to have to weigh the pros and cons of this weight-loss tea. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup grated (into a pulp) carrot
1/2 cup grated (into a pulp) daikon
1/4 of one umeboshi plum
1-2 drops shoyu
1/4 Nori sheet, ripped into small pieces (optional)

Bring carrot, daikon, umboshi plum and 1 cup of water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Add shoyu and simmer for another 2 to 3 mins. Add nori, if using. Drink hot.

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I've been drinking this 'tea' aka soup for the past 7 days, I'm almost to 10 days. I actually have dropped a couple of pounds!!! The first week I gave up dairy/meat after reading the Kind Diet I only lost .8 lbs. I don't know if the tea has helped me or if I've been better at eating less processed/white bread/sugary foods.

    This is weird, but I kind of like having this 'drink/soup' for breakfast. I feel like I'm sneaking in my vegetables and don't even realize it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many times a day do you have to drink this tea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it hardest to grate the daikon into a pulp. When I tried putting it into my food processor, I had no success. I find making the tea just very time consuming, and I would prefer to just make a large batch and dring a cup per day. Any thoughts on this?

    Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the tea. A traditional macrobiotic-diet tea, I love the flavors. Though, I stick in the food processor as grating it is just too difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ludwig...you can get Daikon at Whole Foods.

    Chantal...I put all of the ingredients into my VitaMix. Not only does it grate, it cooks it as well. One Stop Shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friends & I have always nicknamed that store "Whole Paycheck Market" for so long, it's odd to hear it by it's real name lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, you can find ALL of the ingredients in that recipe easily (and most importantly, CHEAPLY) at any Asian grocery. Shopping at local ethnic markets (Asian, Arab, etc.) will save you a ton on meat and produce, along with their own regional foods. Meanwhile name brand American supermarkets will charge more than double on "international" foods and there's no telling how long it's been on the shelf. Funny, at ethnic markets, they reserve a small section for AMERICAN products and do the same over-markup scheme that American grocers do with foreign products lol.

    ReplyDelete