Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Planning Meals

To make sure all my nutrient needs are met, planning each meal is key. Lots of different books suggest lots of different things but the plan I like the best is in The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone....yes, the Clueless actress. I completely loved her book because it had enough scientific detail to prove her points but I wasn't overwhelmed by it when reading. Plus she looks fabulous and who wouldn't want to look like her! Anyway....she encourages you to plan your meals around whole grains, beans, and leafy greens. When you look down at your plate, 1/4 should be whole grains, 1/4 should be beans, and the remaining 1/2 should be the green stuff! Tons of protein, calcium, complex carbohydrates, vitamins and many more essentials to being healthy can be found in just those categories. Meat isn't the only source of protein and milk isn't the only source of calcium...so no worries!

Last night I put this plan to work with our dinner. We had some tasty couscous, fabulous green beans and the star of the show was some nom-tastic cabbage! Ok....so it wasn't the most aesthetically beautiful plate with only two colors displayed but it sure was tasty!

Now, I did cheat a little last night. Since the decision to become a vegan is pretty recent, Chris and I still have a ton of dairy in the house. I refuse to waste food...even if it is full of toxins and at the cost of beautiful animals. So instead of simply tossing the 2 remaining sticks of butter in our fridge, I plan on using them up and then turning to Earth Balance buttery spread! Last night our couscous had a tablespoon of butter as did our boiled cabbage. So sue me! Despite that hiccup, the plan of the meal was consistent with The Kind Diet and I loved it...and so did Chris!

The Kind Diet has tons of tasty looking and sounding recipes and tips so consider this your warning that you will be hearing more about Alicia's plan! I am super pumped about trying her Carrot-Daikon Weight Loss Tea and her Crispy Tofu Slices with Orange Dipping Sauce! Yum Yum! Check out her website: www.thekindlife.com to beat me to it!

Enjoy the day!

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love Alicia!! Her site looks amazing. I'm starting to do some cooking of my own, and I might have to try out a couple of those recipes. Good luck with it all! I look forward to seeing what you cook up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earth Balance is great! I bake with it, too. I can't say that I miss butter.

    ReplyDelete