Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Chelsea's Cafe

Chelsea's Cafe  has been and remains one of my favorite places to eat in Baton Rouge. From the atmosphere to the yummy food to the fun beer selection, I'm sold! So many memories...I won't and can't share them all but I'll share these few tid bits...

The first time I tried hummus was at Chelsea's and I've been addicted ever since! This is my favorite thing to start with here because it is just enough to share and keep you occupied but not enough to spoil your dinner! I've yet to meet anyone who ordered this appetizer and didn't love it! Another starter that really gets the taste buds ready for fun is their Fried Green Tomatoes served with a remoulade sauce...yum, yum, yum!

Before the journey of being a vegetarian with vegan tendencies began, I hardly ventured from my go-to menu item...the grilled cheese! Holy Cow...this is without question the best grilled cheese sandwich I've ever had! It is six cheeses melted on homemade focaccia bread and served alongside their tomato basil soup. Professional Chelsea's Grilled Cheese Lovers (and now you...) know that you can spice this favorite item up a bit by asking them to add veggies to the sandwich. I'm a big fan of onions, so I always add those but sometimes I'll add tomatoes, mushrooms or spinach. All are excellent choices! I also get them to mix their tomato basil soup with their mushroom and artichoke soup...such an excellent result! Trust me!

Now that I've ventured to some of their other excellent options, I can also vouch for the Grilled Veggies on Focaccia, Pasta Primavera, and the Grilled Vegetables with Mediterranean Couscous-which is now my second fav menu item! If you are feeling a salad, they also have really great (and huge!) salad options!

I also have to brag a bit on their private parties. Chris and I held our rehearsal dinner here and it was a success on all accounts! We had about 60 people in their side room for a buffet-style dinner. There was homemade bread, hummus, stuffed mushrooms, crawfish pasta, chicken pasta and more (including vegan items for the bride and groom)! We also topped the night off with their bread pudding...too tasty for words!

The atmosphere is definitely unique. It is a very casual and laid-back place with live music often. It can fill up fast during lunch and happy hour so plan accordingly! Veggie Friends and Meat-Lovers alike with love this place!



Chelsea's Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS get the grilled cheese and soup, and I never thought about asking them to add veggies! I will definitely do that next time.

    ReplyDelete