Thursday, June 17, 2010

Date Night!

Last night Chris and I decided to go out for dinner. We recently read Urbanspoon's list of "100 Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge" and noticed that there are tons of places here that we haven't enjoyed yet! Being vegetarians with vegan tendencies, we know better than to go to some on the list, so last night we decided to check out Rama Thai Cuisine on Perkins, near the overpass.

This Thai restaurant has a bit of a sketchy appearance but the food is worth it! When we walked in we were a little confused. Do we wait to be seated? Do we go ahead a take a table? Ah! So we just stood there and eventually we were greeted by one of the servers who seated us. As we opened the menu, my heart leaped! An entire sleeve of the menu was dedicated to vegetarian options! YAY!

We started with fried veggie spring rolls...yum! When it arrived there were two giant rolls served with sweet and sour sauce. The sauce had a bit of a kick to it and was the perfect compliment to the tasty rolls! I ordered the Veggie Pad Thai and Chris got the Fried Tofu and Veggie Fried Rice (fatty!). The Pad Thai wasn't overwhelmingly spicy, which I loved! It was just spicy enough that after two or three bites I was grabbing my water! Yummy! The fried tofu was really excellent! Being a "texture person", I'm not the biggest fan of chunks of tofu but fried tofu is OK with me! It was a little chewy but with the steamed rice, amazing sauce and veggies, it all worked out. The Veggie Fried Rice was really good as well...had tons of veggies in it (obviously)! My favorite part of the ordering process was when she asked me "egg or no egg"! You can tell they serve those with "restrictions" and care about them too!

Clearly, we ordered way too much food! The portions are giant so we have plenty for lunch today...which is how we like to roll! I love family-style restaurants because it isn't considered weird to share! I like to taste everything on the table...sue me! The service did take a little time but that just gave us an opportunity to hang out and talk...so we were fine with it! I guess if you don't like the person you are with or you are in a hurry, think about going somewhere different!

This fun date night filled with tasty, tasty food put us back around $35. What a deal! We recommend to all our veggie or non-veggie friends out there! For our non-veggie friends, check out this Bite and Booze review!



Rama on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. awesome!!! I love your 'Being vegetarians with vegan tendencies' classification. That is soo me! I feel all judged when I have something that has eggs/dairy in it, but truth be told I like fro yo from the fro yo bar. Until my little city in North carolina gets a soy fro yo bar (which never will happen) I gotta do what is right for me.

    Your thai place sounds amazing!! You are so lucky your husband's gone veggie with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know! I'd never be able to do it without him! It is just so much easier to cook or go out to eat when you have a someone to do it with you!

    ReplyDelete