Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Celebrating America!

What a weekend! It all started with a Game Night on Friday evening, then a Saturday full of straightening up, soccer and travels downtown, then ending with a 4th of July celebration on Sunday with great friends and food!

When I sent the invitation to our friends I mentioned that we would have plenty of food but if you must have meat bring it yourself! Although most did, I really think the normalcy of the other food options made a great impact. Our starters included salsa, ranch salsa and hummus....yum! Then we had an assortment of sides to choose from including baked beans, homemade beer bread, potato salad, pasta salad, mac n'cheese and grilled veggies....oh my! Finally, some cupcakes, rum balls and homemade ice cream!

The salsas and hummus were, I'll admit, not made by yours truly...but they were tasty nonetheless!

The baked beans were only semi-homemade. I started with some Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans and added some sauteed onions and bell peppers and topped it all with some brown sugar before baking....yum, yum, yum! The pasta salad was easy, easy and a hit as always! I've posted about it before so check out the recipe here.

The potato salad was based on a post I've shared already but I tweaked it a bit. I started the same way as the recipe intended...placing all my cubed, red potatoes in a pot, covered with water for approximately 20 minutes or until soft. I then transferred to my colander and allowed them to completely cool. When ready, I mashed in a few tablespoons of yellow mustard, some red onions, green onions and celery, about a cup of Veganaise and some salt and cracked pepper. Yum, yum, yum and no one even knew it was vegan!

I'll share more when I'm able to post some pictures, but for now enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment