Thursday, August 26, 2010

Farfalle with Zucchini

When some people hear that I am a vegetarian with vegan tendencies they tend to think I'm malnourished... which is odd because I have plenty of meat on my bones! My mother is the worst! She is always nagging me to give up my "liberal" ways and start eating chicken again. It is borderline hysterical. I can write all this because I know she is reading! =) Others just start shooting me any and all recipes they can find that don't have meat...it is these people that I am A-OK!

A friend of mine recently shot me this Farfalle with Zucchini and we tried it out last night. It is not a vegan dish by any means but it is pretty darn tasty! I have no idea where she got this from so I'm not sure who to credit. Anyway...I love, love, love zucchini and it is the star of this dish. Enjoy!

Farfalle with Zucchini

4 whole zucchini
1 whole medium onion
A handful or so of grape or cherry tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
Farfalle (bowtie) pasta
2 tablespoons (or so) of Olive Oil
2/3 cups of white wine
1 tablespoon arrowroot
3/4 cup cream
Your choice of herbs (I like basil and thyme)
Parmesan Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste


Start off by bringing a pot of water to boil for your pasta.

Dice the onion, zucchini and garlic into small slices and set aside, but keep separate. Next, halve your tomatoes lengthwise and set aside.

Once your water is boiling, cook your pasta according to the directions on the package. Al dente is best!

Heat a couple tablespoons over medium high to high heat in a saucepan. When the oil is hot, throw in half of the zucchini and let brown. Once browned, toss it onto a plate and repeat with the second half of zucchini and set aside.

Next, throw the onions and garlic into the saucepan and let cook for a few minutes. When the onions have softened a bit, toss in your tomatoes and lower your heat to a medium low to medium.

Now, pour 1/3 cup of your white wine into the mix and, with a spoon or whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the goodness can be released. While this party is going, pour another 1/3 of white wine into a small bowl, mix in your arrowroot and then pour over your onions and tomatoes. Once stirred, add in your 3/4 cup cream and turn off the heat. Lastly, add your zucchini and about a cup of pasta water to thin out your sauce (if needed). Salt and pepper to taste!



To serve, pour the drained pasta into a large serving bowl or platter. Add your choice of herbs and then pour your sauce over the top. Add some Parmesan and a final sprinkling of basil and...BAM, you have an excellent dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment