Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Massaged Kale Salad

I was being lazy Sunday afternoon, flipping through the channels when I got all caught up in Aarti Party on Food Network. She is just adorable! I don't watch The Next Food Network Star, but apparently she won and I'm glad she did because she introduced me to an amazing new salad! When I was watching her make this Massaged Kale Salad, I kept thinking "I could do that and I could eat that! Perfect!" 

This salad combines the goodness of kale with the sweetness of mango and the crunch of toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). She paired this dish with Sloppy Bombay Joes but since we don't eat meat and it was already pretty late....we had this dish solo. I could see it winning "best supportive cast member" next to some grilled portobellos or maybe a nice spicy pasta or rice dish...YUM!

Massaged Kale Salad

1 bunch kale (she suggests black kale but Whole Foods only had green...it was still tasty!)
1 lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 mango (diced small)
Small handful toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

Discard the stems and thinly slice your kale then toss in a large serving bowl. Add 1/2 of the lemon juice and a drizzle of oil with a pinch or two of kosher salt. Then get ready to get your hands dirty! Massage until the kale starts to soften and wilt, around 2 to 3 minutes. This is really fun because your can feel the kale succumb to the lemon and olive oil. Plus the kale goes from a bright crunchy green to a darker smooth green.

(DISCLAIMER: Please make sure your hands are clean!)

Set that aside and start on your dressing. In a small bowl, whisk remaining lemon juice with the honey and lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stream in the 1/4 cup of oil while whisking until a dressing forms, and you like how it tastes.

Pour the dressing over the kale, and add the mango and pepitas. Toss and serve.


I hope you enjoy...we sure did! Kale is such an awesome leafy green!

If you try it, let me know what you served it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment